All staff believe that our school should provide a safe, caring, positive and stimulating environment that promotes the social, physical and moral development of the individual child.
The Governing Body takes seriously its responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and works together with staff and external agencies to ensure there are appropriate arrangements within our school to identify, assess and support those children who are at risk. We recognise that all staff and Governors have a full and active part to play in protecting our pupils and that the child’s welfare is our paramount concern.
Safeguarding in Cornwall
The key statutory guidance ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ explains that safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is defined as:
- protecting children from maltreatment;
- preventing impairment of children’s health or development;
- ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care;
- and taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
School staff play an essential role in protecting children from abuse. They have regular contact with children and young people so are in a strong position to identify signs of abuse and neglect. At Brannel we:
- create safe environments for children and young people through robust safeguarding practices;
- ensure that adults who work in the school, including volunteers, don’t pose a risk to children;
- make sure staff are trained, know how to respond to concerns and keep-up-to-date with policy and practice;
- teach children and young people about staying safe; and
- maintain an environment where children feel confident to approach any member of staff if they have a worry or problem.
We have a dedicated and committed safeguarding team who work every day to ensure that our students at Brannel are happy, safe, healthy and enjoy their school lives.
Brannel School Safeguarding Team
If you are concerned about any safeguarding matters, please do not hesitate to contact Mr Richards in the first instance, tel. 01726 822485 or [email protected]
Brannel School Safeguarding Policy: click here
Keeping Children Safe in Education: click here
If you wish to discuss concerns that you have regarding a child or vulnerable adult, please contact the Multi Agency Referral Unit:
Tel: 0300 123 1116
Email: [email protected]