Healthy and Home Cooked
Students have the option to bring a packed lunch or enjoy a hot school meal.
School meals are freshly prepared here on site each day by our in-house catering team. Our ingredients are sourced wherever possible through local suppliers. Our aim is to encourage our students to make good choices in order to eat well.
Food and drink served at Brannel School complies with the nutritional standards as required by Section 114A School Standards and Framework Act 1998.
Our main meals menu features a selection of dishes, aimed at providing healthy and balanced meals.
- Meat Free Monday offers a healthy and delicious vegetarian menu (e.g. seasonable vegetable cottage pie, seasonable vegetable curry, cheesy pasta bake) as part of our commitment to the Cornish Schools’ Green Charter.
- Tuesday is ‘Best of British’ day where a traditional roast option is served.
- Worldwide Wednesday offers an international menu which encourages students to try foods from other countries and cultures with which they may not be familiar.
- Thursday is Fish Day, with our most requested menu choice being hand-battered cod and chips.
“This is the best meal I’ve ever had in a school… and I’ve been to a lot of schools.” – external visitor
We have a special Christmas Menu from 14th to 18th December
Grab n’ Go
In addition to a main meal, at breakfast, break and lunchtime there are “Grab n’ Go” options such as Pasta King pots, a selection of freshly made sandwiches and wraps, pizza slices, pasties, jacket potatoes with a selection of fillings, salad and fresh fruit.
We make every effort to ensure that our food offer is affordable for students. We have not increased our prices since March 2017. A main meal with dessert is £2.30. We also offer a wide range of alternative “Grab n’ Go” meals and snacks with every item being priced under £2.00.
We operate a cashless payment system in our canteen. Each student has their own proximity card which works like a payment card at the till. Parents are encouraged to use their ParentPay account to add funds to their child’s card. Alternatively students can use the cash loaders located in school to top up their payment cards.
Apply for Free School Meals
Many families in receipt of benefits are entitled to claim free school meals for their children. To check whether your child is eligible for FSM, and to submit an application, please follow the link to Cornwall Council’s website
At Brannel, students who are eligible for FSM receive an ‘e-voucher’ which entitles them to a school breakfast and main meal. The e-voucher has a nominal value of £0.01 which shows up on the student’s ParentPay account. Students are able to use their e-voucher to choose from a broad selection of healthy meal options:
- hot main meal of the day plus dessert from the canteen;
- any Pasta King Pot;
- any sandwich plus yoghurt or fresh fruit;
- hot pasty, panini or burrito plus yoghurt or fresh fruit; or
- any other daily non-snack ‘specials’ which are classified as a meal.
In line with our commitment to encourage healthy eating, the e-voucher does not cover cakes, biscuits, other snacks or soft drinks selected as an alternative to a main meal item.
Allergies or Medical Conditions
All of our catering staff have undertaken food allergen training. There is clear signage in the Canteen area to identify allergens within our food products. Students are also encouraged to ask catering staff if they are uncertain.
If your child has an allergy or medical condition, please do contact the school to speak to Mrs Karen Adamson, our Catering Manager, who works closely with families on an individual basis to risk assess and implement safe provision of non-allergen foods for your child.
Please email Mrs Karen Adamson: email@example.com